Welcome to Piano.com Forums. This board is open for everyone to read, but you will need to register before you can post.
Click here to register. It's is fast and easy, so join now and start posting!

What's the best Rhodes style keyboard for touring?

edited May 2013 in Electric Pianos
Love the fender rhodes, but it's just too heavy to tour around with, not to mention that the last thing you want to do with a vintage instrument is toss it in the back of a trailer. I've been reading around for a good keyboard version, but curious if anyone on here has a preference on the best rhodes-style keyboards out there?

Also, are the newly released models any good?

Comments

• edited May 2013
    My favorite is the Nord Stage 2, which has samples of two Mark I's, two Mark IIs, a Mark V, and a sparkletop. The Korg SV1 is pretty good but its too even sounding. I just looked up a vid of a Roland Fantom G8 and that was even worse.

The rhodes samples in the NS2 are also on the Nord Piano 2 and Electro 3 and 4. All of these are pretty expensive, $2000-$4000. If you're only using basic keyboard sounds (pianos, electric pianos, organs, clavinets) look for an Electro 2. They're around $1200.

Or you could go the laptop and MIDI controller route. I think Redtape Samples has the rawest, realest sound plus its only $40. Here's a video that compares it to a real Mark I and Logics EVP88.

The Mark VIIs are amazing but are no longer in production. They have a higher output, less key noise and bounce, and a much improved dynamic response, action, and playability. Some will say that sound too even and lack grit but with the right EQ, hammer tips, etc that can be fixed. They're $3000-4000 and extremely rare.