Welcome to Piano.com Forums. This board is open for everyone to read, but you will need to register before you can post.
Click here to register. It's is fast and easy, so join now and start posting!

keyboard amp to replace Roland KC350

edited July 2013 in Electric Pianos
I'm competing with a really loud drummer and guitarist onstage and my KC350 just isn't cutting it. The Motion Sound KBR-3D, 500SN, and Traynor K4 look promising but they aren't stocked at my local music stores. Has anyone tried these or have a recommendation for an amp with good tone at loud volumes? Anybody have success using a guitar amp instead? I have a Roland JC120 that could work ok for this gig but it needs some serious repair.

Comments

• Gotta love the loud drummers.

If you can get the JC120 repaired, it should crank pretty well.
  • So people do repair electronics? Who? Where? 
  • edited August 2013
    It depends on the kind of damage. Some parts are not too hard to fix if you or someone you know is comfortable doing a little soldering, 

For example, if the speaker itself is blown, you can usually order a replacement from the manufacturer and swap it out yourself. Or, if there is physical damage, like broken wheels or handles, someone with basic handyman skills can usually repair or replace broken parts. 

Usually you can replace knobs, inputs, fuses, outputs, power sources, etc

However, if the main electronics inside the amp are busted, you're probably better off buying something new. Trying to fix that can be a laborious and time consuming process, not to mention that finding replacement parts gets a lot more tricky. Usually people only do this for vintage or collector gear. Or with the top line gear or really expensive stuff you can usually just send it back to the manufacturer. 

Cheaper stuff isn't worth the shipping costs though.

Years ago a buddy of mine used to have a cheap combo bass amp that was always breaking. We'd keep taking it apart and figuring out how to fix the random busted parts.... until one day when we took it apart and the processing board had just cracked down the middle (it was a cheap amp to be fair)... We think it was a temperature related crack cause that thing used to get super hot. Anyway, we scrapped the amp but kept the speaker and just powered it with a new amp. The speaker lasted for years after that.

Frankenstein music gear!